Friday, May 4, 2012

Video 1 (upside down view) - Autoethnography (study of self): Guqin 古琴 home practice



Please watch and post your comments! Any positive or negative comments are all very welcome! Thank you!

1st video of Guqin 古琴 home practice after a mere 7 weeks of lessons from an American guqin teacher in Singapore, Master John Thompson.

I was horrified when I watched my own video. But this helps me to spot all my horrible mistakes. I could not hear the loud rough scrapping and loud plucking noises when I was playing the guqin. I also learned that I need to play the silk strings extremely gently even though the music is very soft, because the microphone can pick up all kinds of unexpected noises. I should only play with my nails of my right hand, not pluck the strings with the flesh part of my right fingers.

Must be something wrong with the way I tuned my own guqin. I realized that I was not pressing accurately on the "hui" markers with my left fingers. Look carefully at my left hand in the video again and you will see what I mean. Perhaps it is due to the fact that when I look towards to the left side when I was tuning / playing the Guqin, I thought that my finger was aligned with the "hui" markers, but in fact they are not. Oh well, another lesson learned! haha!

Please watch and post your comments! Any positive or negative comments are all very welcome! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment