Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Video 4: Phenomenological Aesthetics of playing Silk Strings Guqin



Raw video recording of my lived experience of playing on silk strings Guqin. NOT a musical performance. Creative Commons. Feel free to use this for your own research paper, but please cite me in your References section. Thank you!

I used a Headcam (GoPro HD Hero2) to capture where I was looking at when handling this Guqin, so you can clearly see which part of the Guqin I was focusing on.

This video is simply a tool or device used to help me to remember my own lived experiences, which includes sensations and feelings and thoughts as I touch the silk strings on the Guqin.

You can hear the noise of the subway train moving on the tracks (they call it the MRT in Singapore) in the background from outside my window. The video also shows me tuning the silk strings Guqin. In Singapore, I tuned the thickest 1st string to B-flat. When not playing, I would detune the silk strings so that they do not over stretch in Singapore's hot (above 30 degrees Celcius or about 86 Fehrenheit) and humid (about 80 percent humidity) weather.



I am just a beginner learner of Guqin, having only experienced 11 weeks of playing a Guqin at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment