Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My guqin string snapped on the day Mrs. Thatcher passed away

Tonight I was playing my guqin very gently but the thinnest 7th string snapped. Perhaps even it knew that one of the greatest persons of our time - Mrs. Margret Thatcher - had passed away. Just kidding. It's most probably just pure coincidence. Still, I salute Mrs. Thatcher with the deepest respect.


Typically, when guqin silk strings snap, there would be a last stringlet hanging on for dear life.

I untied the remaining silk string of the 7th string from the goose foot of the guqin. There was no dead knot so it's very easy to untie.

When the silk string snapped its Rong Kou fell onto the floor. The Rong Kou felt cold to the touch. It was smooth as a pebble. Probably craved out of some kind of river stone.

I used a metal paper clip to guide the Rong Kou back through the hole in the guqin.

Then I used a plastic piece (the kind that comes in men's business shirts packaging) to secure the Rong Kou in place.

Then I sat down and leisurely re-tied a dragonfly knot on the same silk string. That's why I love using silk strings on guqin. It's very eco-friendly, unlike metal-nylon strings. haha. Typically a silk string can probably be re-tied and re-used for about 10 times before it becomes too short.

I used this diagram to guide me to re-tie a dragonfly knot on the broken silk string.


After the dragonfly knot was re-tied on the silk string, it was guided back through the silk string loop of the Rong Kou.

It's very fun to re-tie silk strings on guqin, like a mini workout. One is required to pull the string close to pitch before securing it to the goose foot.

The end of the re-secured silk string was simply tucked neatly under itself, not on other strings. No dead knot was tied, but amazingly the tension in the re-tied 7th string was still very good.

Back in business after a mere 15 minutes (including taking pictures) of re-tying the 7th string. 

Admiring the guqin a little before putting it back into its case for the night. I normally keep my guqin in its hard foam case, because my children like to pull its tassels. It'd probably be destroyed if I hang it up on a hook on the wall. hahaha

It never ceases to amaze me how the ancient people managed to design such a sleek and beautiful shape for the guqin thousands of years ago. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment