Saturday, June 15, 2013

My favorite Chinese lion seal

This is my favorite seal carved with a Chinese 'lion.' It's quite big in size so it's more suitable to be used for Chinese paintings done on bigger pieces of paper. It was carved by a PRC seal carver based in Singapore. He used to carve at a shop on level 1 of Bras Basah Complex in Singapore, but they have since closed shop. This seal was in his personal collection and I bought it directly from him. He is also one of two seal carvers engaged for seal-carving services by the two calligraphy shops on level 2 of Bras Basah Complex. (Yes, there are only 2 calligraphy supplies shops in the entire Singapore. Go figure. haha)

Only my surname 侯氏 (pronounced as 'hou' in standard putonghua, Shi 氏 simply indicates that the character beside it is a surname) is carved at the bottom of this seal so that my daughters can also use this seal when they do Chinese paintings. Haha












No comments:

Post a Comment