Thursday, July 25, 2013

Video recording: 平沙落雁 Ping Sha Luo Yan on Tobaya guqin silk strings

Recorded another piece: 
平沙落雁 Ping Sha Luo Yan (modern version). 

I self-learned this tune from this fun little Guqin book for kids. It took me about a month to leisurely memorize it. After watching my own video, I realized that the rhythm would sound better if I had slowed down further whenever I had any doubts about how to proceed. Sometimes, rushing when playing guqin may not sound good. haha (laughing at my silly self) *smile*




Recorded on Wednesday 24th July 2013 using my GoPro Hero2 headcam and my Sony audio recorder.

Silk strings used; Tobaya brand (www.tobaya.co.jp)


Banana-leaf shaped guqin was made by Zhang Yong (based in Sichuan province, China), purchased from Taobao via www.sgshop.com.sg I received this guqin in Singapore on 16th May 2013, after it journeyed for 3 weeks from Sichuan China. You may read about my experience of receiving it at this other webpage,


You can compare my poorly played version with the same tune played by real guqin masters at this other webpage.


A German couple also played Ping Sha Luo Yan using Indian Bansuri flute and Guqin. Impressive! You can watch their video at this other webpage.

There's also someone else who played Ping Sha Luo Yan using silk strings. You can listen to it at this other webpage.


Previously in 2012, I had learned a more ancient 1634 version of this tune, called Yan Luo Ping Sha (dapu by Mr. John Thompson. You can watch the video recording of me playing it at this other webpage. 


If you wish to write a research paper comparing the modern version of Ping Sha Luo Yan vis-a-vis the more ancient 1634 version of Luo Yan Ping Sha, please feel free to use my videos for non-profit research purposes. They are Creative Commons compliant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment