Saturday, September 28, 2013

please teach me how to play this symbol from 瀟湘水雲 Xiao Xiang Shui Yun

Ladies and gentlemen, can someone please kindly teach me how to play this symbol? It's from the tune 瀟湘水雲 Xiao Xiang Shui Yun in Book 3 of 古琴考級曲集 Gu Qin Kao Ji Qv Ji, section 2, line 3 on page 94. Thank you very much for helping me! *smile*

Please leave a comment! Thank you!





[Update] Special thanks to Mr. Jim Binkley, who explained how to play this symbol: yang tuo (looking up tuo). WWG: 仰托。"put the 'p' of the right hand (p is pulgar hence thumb) in the "flank" of the string, and then, play it up -ward making the string slaps the board."





Spotted another Yang Tuo 仰托 in the first note of section 3 in the tune 瀟湘水雲 Xiao Xiang Shui Yun. This time, it's a pressed note at the 10th hui of the 7th string. I tried to flex my right thumb and angled it so it's under the string and moved it upward on the pressed string. It made a pretty interesting sound when the silk string slapped onto the lacquered top of the guqin ... kinda like a short beautiful "emotional outburst" --- a carthasis almost, if I may suggest --- even when I had not intended them to sound like that at all. There were actually 2 sounds that were produced in quick succession: one made when it was plucked by my right thumb, and another of the same pitch when the silk string hit the lacquered top board of the guqin. hahaha It was fun! 



No comments:

Post a Comment