Thursday, March 20, 2014

Experiential case encounter with 龍人 LongRen brand nylon guqin strings

Did an "experiential case encounter" of using 龍人 LongRen brand nylon strings on my JunTianFang 均天坊 brand guqin; just to experience what it might feel like to be a LongRen guqin strings user. Being primarily a silk strings user, this was my first time mounting a set of nylon strings on a guqin. The nylon strings were very easy to pull to pitch using my gloved right hand. I was pleasantly surprised by how very little strength was needed to pull the nylon strings. Haha.. However, I was still not used to the "metallic" sound although I knew there was supposed to be no metal inside. I only temporarily removed the Tobaya silk strings and changed to LongRen brand nylon strings because my 8 year old daughter could not yet handle silk strings at her age. I might change back to silk strings at the first sign that divots start to develop because of the Longren nylon strings. Haha

To find out how I tuned the strings on the guqin once the thickest 1st string had been tuned to C pitch, click here.

On the left: 3 white colored Tobaya silk strings. On the right: 4 copper-colored LongRen brand nylon strings.


As I pulled each string to pitch, I used an electronic chromatic tuner to check the pitch so that I would not over-pull the strings.


Using a glove is essential for pulling guqin strings to pitch. Totally ouch-less.


After all the LongRen brand nylon strings were strung on the guqin, I tuned all 7 strings relative to C pitch on the thickest 1st string.

Yes, the entire guqin became very much louder and the bass sounds became much heavier (more gravitas). The sustain of each note also became much longer. However, the LongRen brand nylon strings were much stiffer to play, compared to silk strings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment