Thursday, June 14, 2012

Video 7 梅梢月 MeiShaoYue pages 1 and 2 (practise #3)



I am just a beginner with 14 weeks of experience of playing the Guqin so far. This is my feeble attempt at learning to play pages 1 and 2 (out of 8 pages) of Mei Shao Yue 梅梢月. Click here to see and hear what it should sound like when it is correctly played by a real Master.

My regular traditional Chinese clothing (with frog buttons) has been sent to the tailor in Singapore's Chinatown, Golden Scissor (yes, there is no 's' at the end) for cloning, so I just have to make do with my Yukata 浴衣. To get a glimpse of what Chinese clothing could be like during China's Han Dynasty, ironically or fortunately (depending on your personal perspectives), one can look to Japan, which was considerably influenced by Han Dynasty culture.

This video is not a musical performance. It serves to help me to recall my lived experiences of playing Guqin and feeling the sensation of silk strings under my fingers, my mental images evoked etc. It also helps me to ponder about the Warring States concept of Wu-wei 無為 as elucidated by Edward Slingerland.


No comments:

Post a Comment