Tuesday, June 12, 2012

7th string of new set of Guqin silk strings snapped in the hard case

Yesterday, I kept the Guqin overnight in its hard case with the silk strings all tuned to pitch (with the thickest 1st string tuned to B-flat). As you can see, the middle 4th string, and the 7th string on the right were stretched beyond the Guqin's bridge (Yue Shan).


When I opened the Guqin hard case today, the 7th string has already snapped. This is my 2nd time dealing with a broken 7th string. (You can read about my 1st experience dealing with a broken 7th string if you click here.) 

I took this opportunity to re-mount all the 7 Guqin silk strings.

After all the 7 guqin silk strings were re-mounted, they looked like this. Nice and tidy.

After the Guqin silk strings were tuned to pitch (with the thickest 1st string tuned to B-flat), the thinnest 7th silk string went slightly to the end of the bridge (Yue Shan).

After playing the Guqin, and doing many vibratos on the rough silk strings, this happened to my left hand fourth finger. But it's not painful at all. I guess part of "self-cultivation" using the Guqin is to develop thicker skin!!! Hahaha. LOL!!

Before putting the Guqin back into its soft bag and hard case for the night, I loosened all the silk strings, so that they would not be over-stretched. Good night, Guqin. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment