Monday, August 13, 2012

Video 17: (1549) 梅梢月 MeiShaoYue page 1 to end of page 8, practise session #12



[Note: Please use ear phones if you really wish to hear the sounds of silk strings on the Guqin. The tiny speakers in most computers won't be able to produce the low bass sounds of the guqin. Thank you.]

This is *not* a musical performance. This is raw research video to help me spot my mistakes during home practice.

For this recording session, this guqin is tuned to G-sharp on the thickest 1st string. This is much lower than the usual B-flat for silk strings on Guqin. Metal-nylon strings can usually be tuned to C on the thickest 1st string on the guqin. But metal-nylon strings can scratch the lacquer of a guqin. Silk strings won't scratch the lacquer of the fingerboard of the guqin.

I have been learning this piece since Friday 1st June 2012. At this point, Mon 13 Aug 2012, it's been more than 2 months. This video recording captures my lived experience of being able, for the very first time, to play the complete piece from page 1 to the end of page 8. It's a very satisfying experience.

At this point, I have attended 21 lessons with my American teacher, Guqin Master John Thompson, who is currently living in Singapore.

This video also helps me to recall my lived experience of playing with silk strings on guqin.

Please be my critical friend, and feel free to post your comments. Any comments, whether positive or negative would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you!


2 comments:

  1. interesting.. i have seen what you wrote and that the effort you attempt on guqin. it is rare to have people learning ancient stuff be it guqin or Chinese calligraphy. nice to know you. :)
    ~Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments, Steve!

    ReplyDelete