Tuesday, September 3, 2013

audio recording of me playing guqin tune - Liu Shui 流水 (Flowing Waters)



[UPDATE: If you click on 'Download' link on the right hand side of the Soundcloud widget above, you can download the audio file free-of-charge. It's not well played by me. However, I hope you'd enjoy the colorful tones of silk strings.]

This is just an audio recording to check for my own playing mistakes. hahaha

It sounds much slower than other Liu Shui performances by experienced guqin maestros, firstly because I am just a beginner who self-learned and memorized this tune from scratch just 7 weeks ago from a score in a book. hahaha

Secondly, this tune was played on silk strings (Tobaya brand) mounted on a guqin made by Zhang Yong (bought online from Taobao.com via SgShop.com.sg), and it was tuned much lower at B-flat (also shown as A-sharp on electronic tuner) on the thickest first string of the 7 string guqin zither.

Thirdly, I only tried to play according to what was written in the score. I realized that many other professional guqin players employ their own bag of special techniques to make their rendition of this tune Liu Shui sound much more exciting than what I have played. hahaha. I am still trying to figure out how to play like they do. hahaha

Well, this is just the beginning. If I continue to practice this tune everyday, I may be able to play it better one fine day in about 10 or 20 years' time. *smile*

Happy playing guqin, everyone! ^_^


If you compare my poorly played version to that of an actual professional guqin maestro (also played on guqin mounted with silk strings), you'd see that I still have a long way to go. hahaha




This is the same tune, played by the same professional player, but using metal-nylon strings, not silk strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment