Monday, September 16, 2013

Teaching myself new guqin tune 潇湘水云 Xiao Xiang Shui Yun

Embarking on a new journey to teach myself a new guqin tune that's an old classic favorite with many guqin enthusiasts: 潇湘水云 Xiao Xiang Shui Yun (Clouds Over Xiao and Xiang Rivers)

There are 10 pages in the score, so that means I may take more than 20 weeks to memorize this new tune, presuming that I can memorize one page per 2 weeks. hahaha *smile*

The score of this tune in the book I am using is based on Master Wu JingLue's version, which can be heard in the embedded video below:

You can read about the story behind this beautiful tune at this link curated by Mr. John Thompson.

There are many people who play much faster versions of this tune. However, my fingers are not fast enough, so I'd be mimicking the much slower version, as performed by 成公亮 Master Cheng Gong Liang. You can listen to the performance by Master Cheng Gong Liang at this link.

There are also many excellent renditions of this very famous guqin tune. Here are just a few. Enjoy! *smile*

















Here are some pictures which I took after trying out the first few lines of this tune in my guqin practice session at home.










No comments:

Post a Comment