Tuesday, October 29, 2013

憶故人 Yi Gu Ren played by me (Shawn How) for Mr. Thompson on 27 Oct 2013



I played this tune Yi Gu Ren for my guqin teacher, Mr. John Thompson in his Singapore home on Sunday 27th October 2013. He stayed in Singapore from 2011-2013, and will return to New York in November 2013. If you live in New York and wish to learn guqin with silk strings from him, please feel free to contact him. He is a very patient and excellent teacher. *smile*

I started lessons with Mr. Thompson in March 2012, and learned how to play guqin from scratch from him. It was one of the best decisions I had ever made in my life. No regrets. Playing guqin really helped to clear my mind so I could focus well on doing other things in my work. *smile*

This particular guqin which I played in Mr. Thompson's home was one of the best I had ever played in my life. It was made by Dr. Tong Kin Woon in Hong Kong. It was surprisingly very loud and clear. Its playability was excellent. Very easy to play. Because this Tong Kin-Woon guqin was so loud and clear, it was also very easy to expose one's weaknesses in playing (if the player is a beginner like silly me). You can hear many of my playing mistakes in this video. hahaha *smile*

For more information on silk strings guqin, please visit Mr. John Thompson's website at www.silkqin.com


No comments:

Post a Comment